Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Friend Taught Me Every Day is a Day to Celebrate Life

This poem is a tribute to my friend Maxine.

Today you are holding God’s hand,
You no longer are tied to this land.
I know you walked through heaven’s gates,
Because when it comes to the way people rate
You were no doubt a perfect ten,
You were a gift from God for me my friend.

I was blessed to know Maxine because she was one of the most beautiful people I have known both inside and out. She loved living life to the fullest. She loved her family and friends as much as any one person I know.

I first met Maxine when she moved back to her hometown of Prineville to care for her Mom who had dementia. Maxine took care of her Mom till the day she died. She thanked God for the opportunity to be able to be there for her Mom and to be able to give to her just a little of what she had given to Maxine.

Gratitude was what Maxine’s life was all about. She had a thankful heart even when she first contracted cancer. She believed that her attitude and God’s grace is what gave her an extra five years to live after she first contracted cancer.
She didn’t take time out to dwell on her problems; she was always too busy doing for others. Taking her friends shopping, to church or the doctors or whatever they needed that she could do for them. She loved to take them shopping at the thrift stores because that was one of her favorite things.

She and I spent hours walking and talking, sipping tea at her kitchen table. She shared much of her life story with me and one more time God blessed me with another great friendship. Thank you Maxine for reminding me that it is in God that we live, move, breathe and have our being and that every day is a day to celebrate life. Because of you I shall remember to give flowers before people pass away.
Her theme in life was Celebrate life and now in her passing that is still her theme. She wants us to celebrate her life because she believes she is in a far better place and I believe she is too.

Maxine my friend, you are missed.
May we all learn to celebrate life every day and learn of the joy it can bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I was born in Arkansas, raised between New Mexico and California. I have two beautiful daughters and one handsome son. Proud grandmother of 10 and great grandmother of 6. I derived my education from the school of hard knocks and came out a much better person for it. Strong will run amok was almost my demise but today it works in my favor. I gave it over to God and he healed me. I have an imaginary choke collar like a puppy wears and daily God tugs it because he loves me and wants to keep me safe. Because of God's grace I have a wonderful life today! I pray you find Him today!