Tuesday, January 24, 2012

How To Consummate A Relationship With God—Easier, Softer Way to Sobriety


Are you one of those dysfunctional people trying to live a new way of life i.e., alcoholic, druggie, etc. Are you in a twelve step program because you’ve tried everything else and now you’re at the bottom of the barrel? You go to this meeting and this really big person tells you that you got to not drink for one day and you’ve got to turn your life over to God. The end of the line folks, nothing left, either a spiritual way of life or go on living they way you are living now.

Do you struggle with trusting God? Are you afraid to turn your will and your life over to Him? Why? I’ll tell you what I was told. You damn well better turn your will and your life over to the care of God because no one else wants the will and the life of a drunk.

What is the real problem? It is not that we can’t turn our will and life over to the care of God, it’s because we are so full of fear that we don’t know how to consummate a relationship with God and we don’t know how to trust him.
How many times do we hear people say I don’t know how to consummate a relationship? Well I’ll tell you what I was told. You know how to consummate a relationship with a man, no problem there so it shouldn’t be too hard to consummate one with God. Put Him first and put all other things aside. Go back through your life and write down all the things you went through and survived that was not humanly possible, things that you know only God could have brought you through.

I’ll guarantee you when do that, you will start realizing how much God loves you; you can’t help but fall in love with Him. It will be so easy to turn your will and your life over to God you will begin to wonder what you were afraid of.
Lack of knowledge always keeps us bound. Don’t ever give up on your spiritual growth. Have strong mentors around you that know have been successful in their own lives so that they can give you healthy spiritual and moral direction.
Don’t try to do these things alone because you will create and vacuum and God abhors a vacuum. There is strength in numbers.

May God Bless and keep you on your journey. I’ve been on a journey with the Lord in sobriety for thirty four continuous years and I have a wonderful life that I never would have dreamed of. All things are possible with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I was born in Arkansas, raised between New Mexico and California. I have two beautiful daughters and one handsome son. Proud grandmother of 10 and great grandmother of 6. I derived my education from the school of hard knocks and came out a much better person for it. Strong will run amok was almost my demise but today it works in my favor. I gave it over to God and he healed me. I have an imaginary choke collar like a puppy wears and daily God tugs it because he loves me and wants to keep me safe. Because of God's grace I have a wonderful life today! I pray you find Him today!