Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Laughter, Hugs, Giving to Others, Gifts My Friend Andrew Shared Even in Rough Times


She sat in the big vacant building alone, tears streaming down her cheeks. Her friend Andrew had just left and had told her the bad news that he didn’t have much longer to live, that he had cancer.
She knew better than to ask the Lord why. She trusted the Lord and knew that he always worked all things out for the good of all his children that loved Him even though it didn’t always appear that way. At least there was a tinge of peace because she knew Andrew felt the same way she did.
Andrew was a big man with a gentle spirit. He had a wonderful warm smile and hugs for all. I guess if you knew him you would just have to call him a cuddly bear. When someone was in pain he would tell them to give it to Jesus and then send them off to help someone else, which was exactly what he would do when he was hurting and in pain, in fact he was on his way to help someone now.
The reason he had come to talk to me that morning is because he was struggling about telling his son about the cancer.  They had just gotten back together after years of separation due to alcohol and drug abuse by both Andrew and his ex wife. Andrew and I prayed together and he knew he had to tell his son because he didn’t know how many days he had left and we concluded they should have as much quality time as possible.
Andrew and his son were both hit hard at the news of the cancer, but Andrew was grateful that he was sober and was able to see that his son was placed in a good home that was not drug filled but had a spiritual environment.  They both spent Andrew’s last days living them to the fullest, doing things they wanted to do, playing, laughing a lot but mostly they were on the front lines helping others because that brought them both the most peace and joy.
When Andrew went home to be with his Father the church was packed with people. Andrew was just one of God’s street people that did his very best to serve the Lord to the fullest in his recovery. He touched so many lives people were amazed. I am sure if Andrew would have known how many lives he had touched, he would have said it was not me but it was the Lord Jesus Christ. Praise Him.
Andrew, you are loved and you are missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I was born in Arkansas, raised between New Mexico and California. I have two beautiful daughters and one handsome son. Proud grandmother of 10 and great grandmother of 6. I derived my education from the school of hard knocks and came out a much better person for it. Strong will run amok was almost my demise but today it works in my favor. I gave it over to God and he healed me. I have an imaginary choke collar like a puppy wears and daily God tugs it because he loves me and wants to keep me safe. Because of God's grace I have a wonderful life today! I pray you find Him today!